Cross Country Ski by light of your headlamp under the new moon! #fullmoonbirkie #newmoonbirkie
Full Moon Birkie: Saturday January 7, 2023
New Moon Birkie: Saturday February 18, 2023
Online registration for the New Moon Birkie closes Thursday February 16, 2023 at 11:59pm.
Cash and credit card registration is available on-site for both the Full Moon and New Moon Birkies.
Place: Waskahegan Staging Area, Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area
Time: 6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
- Sign in desk open: 6:00 p.m.
- Skiing begins: 6:30 p.m.
Cost: $15 per person, all funds go directly back into hot chocolate and snacks!!
Kids Ski Free! when registered with an adult. Sign up to ski the Full Moon Birkie or New Moon Birkie and your child under 12 skis free – only one child per registered adult. When you are registering online, remember to enter the Kids Ski Free Promo Code. The code will be provided on the registration form.
Your registration includes:
- Up to 12 km of beautiful groomed trails through the forest
- Patrollers and sweep
- Hot chocolate, snacks, and a bonfire
- A backup Moonlight Experience if snow conditions are inadequate for skiing.
Remember to bring:
1) Headlamp with an extra battery
2) Classic-style skis, ski boots and poles
3) Extra set of warm clothes to change into after the ski
4) Spirit for adventure
5) Appropriate outerwear and footwear for weather
- Register online in advance or on site (cash only) at the event.
- Participants MUST sign in and sign out just outside the shelter at the Waskahegan Staging Area
- All participants must ski with at least one other person; use the buddy system by travelling with one or more people. If you come alone, please let the on-site coordinators know when you sign in and we will help you find a buddy/group to ski with.
- Dress for the weather in layers.
- Cover all exposed skin to prevent frostbite.
- If you are concerned about cold hands, you can use hand warmers. Please do not litter when you are finished with the warmers.
- Everyone must return to the shelter at the Waskahegan Staging Area by 10 p.m. at the latest.
- If the conditions are too cold or unsafe, we will email you that the event is cancelled.
- The ski goes from Waskahegan Staging Area to Meadow Shelter, which is a round trip of 12 km. Skiers who would like a shorter trip can turn around at any time, but must stay with a buddy.
- There will be patrollers along the route including a sweep at the end of the event.
- There are no refunds and registrations are non-transferable.
Children 2 – 7 years old are not recommended. If they register, they must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
Children 8 – 11 years of age must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
Ages 12 to 100 must ski with at least one other person.