Cross Country Ski under the light of the moon! #fullmoonbirkie
Date: Saturday, February 19, 2022 (new date)
Place: Waskahegan Staging Area, Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area
Time: 6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
- Sign in desk open: 6:00 p.m.
- Skiing begins: 6:30 p.m.
Cost: $10 per person, all funds go directly back into hot chocolate and snacks!!
Your registration includes:
- 2 to 12 km ski tour
- Patrollers and sweep
- Hot chocolate and snacks
- A backup Moonlight Experience if snow conditions are inadequate for skiing: A 4 km moonlight ‘looped walk’, utilizing the first loop of the ski trails at Waskahegan, starting near the shelter.
Remember to bring:
1) Headlamp with an extra battery
2) Classic-style skis, ski boots and poles
3) Extra set of warm clothes to change into
4) Spirit for adventure
5) Appropriate outerwear and footwear for weather; please make sure to bring suitable footwear and ice grippers if conditions are icy.
- Register online in advance or on site (cash only) at the event.
- Participants MUST sign in and sign out just outside the shelter at the Waskahegan Staging Area
- All participants must partake with at least one other person; use the buddy system by travelling with one or more people.
- Dress for the weather in layers
- Cover all exposed skin to prevent frostbite
- If you are concerned about cold hands, you can use hand warmers. Please do not litter when you are finished with the warmers.
- Everyone must return to the shelter at the Waskahegan Staging Area by 10 p.m. at the latest
- If the conditions are too cold or unsafe, we will email you that the event is cancelled.
- The ski goes from Waskahegan Staging Area to Meadow Shelter, which is a round trip of 12 km. Skiers who would like a shorter trip can turn around at any time, but must stay with a buddy.
- There will be patrollers along the route including a sweep at the end of the event.
- There are no refunds and registrations are non-transferable.
Children 2 – 7 years old are not recommended. If they register, they must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
Children 8 – 11 years of age must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
Ages 12 to 100 must ski along trails with at least one other person.
Skiers, volunteers and spectators aged 12 and over attending Birkie events are required to show:
- Proof of Covid-19 vaccinations; and
- Valid personal identification that matches vaccine record, if 18 or over.