Cross country ski under the light of the full moon! #fullmoonbirkie
Saturday, December 22, 2018
Friday, January 18, 2019
Sunday, February 17, 2019
Friday, March 22, 2019
Place: Waskahegan Staging Area, Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area
Time: 6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
- Registration: 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Ski tour start time: 7:00 p.m.
Your registration includes:
- 2 to 12 km ski tour on classic-style track set trails
- Fat Bike demo courtesy of United Cycle
- Live owl exhibit courtesy of Beaverhill Bird Observatory
- Alberta Parks Wildlife Interpreter on Feb 17
- Patrollers and sweep
- Hot chocolate and snacks
Cost: $10 per person
Remember to bring:
1) Headlamp with an extra battery
2) Classic-style skis, ski boots and poles
3) Appropriate outerwear and footwear for weather
4) Extra set of warm clothes to change into
5) Spirit for adventure
- Sign up online in advance or on site (cash only) at the event.
- Skiers MUST sign in and sign out inside the warming hut at Waskahegan Staging Area
- All skiers must ski with at least one other person; use the buddy system by travelling with one or more people.
- Dress for the weather in layers
- Cover all exposed skin to prevent frostbite
- If you are concerned about cold hands, you can use hand warmers. Please do not litter when you are finished with the warmers.
- Everyone must return to the warming hut at the Waskahegan Staging Area by 10 p.m. at the latest
- Arrive early, if you would like to sign up for the a Fat Bike Demo time slot. There will be 5 to 6 demo bikes available to try out in the parking lot and on the road. Bike riding is not allowed on the trails at the Waskahegan Staging Area. Bike riding on trails is allowed at the Blackfoot Staging Area.
- If the conditions are too cold or unsafe, we will email you that the event is cancelled.
- We ski from Waskahegan Staging Area to Meadow Shelter, which is a round trip of 12 km. Skiers who would like a shorter trip can turn around at anytime, but you must stay with skiing buddy.
- There will be patrollers along the ski route including a sweep at the end of the event.
- There are no refunds.
Children 2 – 7 years old are not recommended. If they register, they must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
Children 8 – 11 years of age must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
Ages 12 to 100 must ski along trails with at least one other person.